Coffee Banana

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Impossible is Nothing is Impossible


Impossible is nothing. At first, I have to admit that phrase has almost no meaning to me. I am slow at 'getting it' and I thought that the Adidas tagline is just another tagline in this world of taglines. So one day, while jogging with a friend of mine, he asked me whether its possible for me to complete my 2.4km run in 7mins. Breathlessly I said, "That's impossible!" "Nothing is impossible my friend." he replied in an almost mocking manner. I continued with another reply, when I should just stop. "Yes. 2.4 in 7mins is impossible." "Well." he said in an authoritative tone. "Impossible is nothing then."

In that moment, I got it. I understood the magic and relevance of the Adidas tagline. And for some reason, since I got it after months of being exposed, the tagline and Adidas as a whole seems to me like a smarter company. No - I didn't rush down to the Adidas concept boutique to buy a whole load of shoes and sports jackets. But it did make me consider them.

Taglines are powerful words created as a basis of an advertising or a marketing campaign. Used correctly, taglines can be an indefinite everlasting soul to a company. It moves beyond being just an advertising tool, it becomes an integral part of the identity. Just do it. Three short words that have made Nike a prominent entity in the marketplace for what seems like an eternity. Other companies had tried, but not with similar success.

However the power of taglines are only as powerful as its audience's ability to understand it. First there are people like me. Slow at getting it. We are not dumb (some might argue), but we just don't get it easily. Ink Different (Canon failed tagline). What is that suppose to mean? I'm lovin' it. I'm loving what exactly? Don't even get me started about Uniquely Singapore. Taglines are summarized visions and missions statements and that it is summarized to a point of being generic. If the law is not a problem, even Microsoft could use the tagline Just Do It. Then there is the language barrier. Notice most of these taglines are in English. Most people in china can't understand a word of english. Heck, not all Singaporeans can understand English. What's is Just Do It in Malay? Buat Sahajalah? Doesn't sound too catchy.

Some companies use taglines as they would logos. They print them everywhere. Business cards. Packaging. Boxes. Taglines, once created just for promotional, has become a second logo. Often appearing beside or under a logo. A second logo that may have all the wit and smarts of a tagline, but it also has all its weaknesses. What is Impossible is Nothing in Malay?

Further Reading:
Tyranny of Taglines
Swoosh

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You brought up a valid and important point! Taglines being carefully crafted phrases of specifically chosen words would simply have all its meaning lost and gone on a person who don't understand the language it is written in. Can taglines be created in a way that it would be as universal as a logo?

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Sudirwan said…

    I don't think taglines can ever achieve the universal qualities of a logo. A logo is a visual element that is not meant to be read, but identified and remembered.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home