Coffee Banana

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Do not express yourself!

One of my more memorable job interviews was held in a rather posh hotel restaurant. It was for a Graphic Designer position in a Magazine. The interviewer who was the principal founder and editor of the magazine, was dressed rather casually. Jeans, shirt and a business jacket. He looks the very the bit of what I imagined someone in the editorial industry would look like. I approached him, gave him a firm hand shake and suavely landed onto my sit. I did everything that needs to be done to give the great first impression.

As he was browsing through my portfolio, occasionally giving me the nod of approval, he suddenly shoots a question that even after days of reading interview tips, I were apparently still not ready for. "Your designs all looks varied and polish. You might just be a good designer, but where is the you in these designs? It looks as if, all the pieces were done by different designers."

My brains shuts down. My mouth opens, but no intelligible sounds came out. I was dumbfounded. Shocked. After what seems like forever, I finally answered, albeit with much silliness and naivety.

"I don't think graphic designers should leave marks of their personality in their design." I didn't explain further.

After that shocking reply to the equally shocking question, the interview went downhill, and to cut it short, there was no way that I would be working for this magazine. I went home, sadly and without a job.

Months past, and I was still thinking about that fateful interview. I was on the treadmill, trying to run off the fats of the weekends when I suddenly hit upon an epiphany. Should designers, graphic designers in particular, express themselves in works for clients? It's particularly pertinent for graphic designers to ask themselves this question because in other design fields, self expression is a commendable quality. You would know a Philip Stark work, even though his design works are varied, ranging from shoes to calculators.

In other fields of design, the consumers or audience of the design wants to experience or be associated with the designer. In fashion design, industrial design, interior design etc, the designer is the celebrity. However in graphic design, the consumer just wants to experience the design itself. In fact, sometimes a graphic designer has to make the design transparent, and in effect, makes himself transparent, so the consumer can get to the point clearly and correctly.

Then we have to ask ourselves the most fundamental of questions. Why do we need graphic design? To me, graphic design allows the idea to be delivered in the most elegant and clearest fashion. Self expression in graphic design can only be allowed if it helps in this delivery. Adding noise of self expression to graphic design fails the design. Graphic design then fails its purpose.

And that ladies and gentlemen, was what I should have said during that damn interview.

Technorati Tags: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3:42 AM, Blogger Cobalt Paladin said…

    All designers would have a natural style of their own. It is part of who you are. It is a cumulation of your own background, life views and experience.

    If you have put your heart and soul into your designs, "you" would "come out" from your designs, regardless whether you wanted it.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Sudirwan said…

    Thanks for the comment CP (i'm lazy to type :P)

    While subconsiously coming out of your design can't be help, I believe Graphic Designers should not, consiously and knowingly put themselves in their design. They should self-edit as much as possible.

    Graphic design should not be marveled at because of itself, but appriciated because the ideas is delivered cleary through graphic design. There is no space for self-expression in that I belive.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Cobalt Paladin said…

    I agree with your point. But what I am trying to say is that I understand what the editor of the magazine was looking for. I need to work with graphic designers too. I would see a common style in the mature designers. I would see "them".

    I guess for your case is that you are technically very strong but you've not been able to mesh all the strength together through one common thread - which is yourself. What he saw was a juxtaposition of your styles.

    Darn! Very hard to explain... hope you understand what I was trying say. :p

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sudirwan said…

    Never thought a development of style to be a sign of a designer's maturity. Nice to have the input of a business person like yourself.

    Thanks CP.

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting.

    Actually the best answer is simply the designs were a result of you fulfilling the brief that was set out by your client/boss etc.

    Careful with expressing your self. Unless you your style fits the company you are working with, there is a chance you may not get selected even if the CD saw your style on that faithful day.

    That being said it sounds to me, that perhaps the CD is looking for something else. Another question you can ask is if this magazing is looking for a unique look or various expression.

    From my experence, i rather not have a style, but the ability to be flexiable. In your case the finished and polish looks + flexiability to fulfill the brief IS your style!

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger avalon said…

    I didnt realise you mentioned Starck here too! :) Gosh! I put a comment in your latest post and scroll down and find that I am not original...lol

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous A.V. said…

    Actually its a tough thing to say which is better because design as you know is very subjective. You may display a signature style of yours into an art but then again, it might be viewed as inflexible. Especially if it contradicts with the company's own concepts and styles.

    In this case, I think that graphic design is basically offering to people what they want from yourself in its best form. Might be a bit difficult to understand.. Hope you get it.

    -Alexie-

     

Post a Comment

<< Home